Friday, October 1, 2010

The Night Sky 09/30/10

Where? Blackburn point
When? 8:20-9:30

Holy smokes! I attended the stargaze last night at Blackburn point, and it was better than I ever could have imagined. I have finally seen proof that the constellations we study each week actually exist. The patterns on our star charts mirror the patterns in the sky. No really. Last night, my mind was blown. We had stationary binoculars set up to see some really awesome clusters of the Milky Way. With the telescope we viewed Venus before it set and Jupiter and its moons. Jupiter was so big and lovely. With binoculars we could see the Andromeda galaxy. It looked like a little smudge, but it was cool nonetheless. So there we all are, minding our own business when a large meteor just fell right out of the sky. I made a wish. But even if my wish doesn't come true, at least I got to share a beautiful night of stargazin' with my buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment