Sunday, November 7, 2010

APOD 2.1


I've always liked how recognizable Orion is. Where else in the sky does one fine three bright stars perfectly aligned to form Orion's belt? No where. Those three stars are wonderfully distinguishable. I'm a big fan. This photo gives us Orion the Hunter in a way that I find incredibly enticing. It's too bad that when you look up at the sky you don't see all of this, the cosmic dust and nebula action, I mean. Or maybe it's a good thing because it shows that you should never take things at face value; there could be a whole lot more to that constellation than three stars that rather resemble a belt. The hilt of Orion's sword, for instance, is a stellar nursery known as the Great Nebula of Orion. Or the bright star  Beteleguese is the cool, red giant in the bottom left, which takes on a yellowish tint. I'll have to get my binocs out soon and try to look for the intricacies of this constellation which I had previously taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment