Monday, September 6, 2010

APOD 1.1


       This photo was the Astronomy Picture of the Day on July 14th 2010. It depicts the total solar eclipse that occured on July 11th, as seen from the Isla de Pascua (Easter Island) in the Pacific Ocean. Every day I go to astronomy class I am inspired, but particularly so the day we discussed solar eclipses. Mr. Percival showed us a two minute clip of a solar eclipse witnessed in Hungary and I became so fascinated with the idea that the day could go dark and back in a matter of moments. Needless to say I look forward to making the drive to South Carolina on August 21, 2017 to see it firsthand.
       There are upwards of 800 of these mysterious statues on Easter Island and they appear to have been there for over five hundred year and depict the leaders of a lost civilization. I was drawn to this picture because it shows two of the world's greatest mysteries in the same frame- a solar eclipse and the Chilean statues of Moai. The image shows the beauty of the solar corona, which I find to be absolutely fascinating. I had no idea that the Sun's atmosphere could be so enchanting. The link that one follows when they click "solar corona" is just wonderful. Only 2,536 days until my first solar eclipse!

No comments:

Post a Comment