Friday, September 17, 2010

APOD 1.2





Yikes! 1.2 is late. 1.3 tonight.This photo was the photo of the day on September ninth. I chose it for a shallow, superficial reason. Because it's real pretty. Well two reasons, when you scroll over it, annotations pop up, and who doesn't like annotations? The photo depicts star clusters and the cloudy remnants of stellar explosionslol. The cloud on the left is commonly known as "The Elephant's Trunk." I don't see an elephant's trunk, but there are a lot of things I don't see that astronomers do. I was very comforted in star lab yesterday when Mr. Percicval said that practice makes for a better astronomer, that recognizing patterns in the sky comes with experience, and that there is still hope for me to become the avid astronomer I so desperately want to become. Maybe people who name constellations or elephan'ts trunks just have better imaginations than I. But then again, it doesn't take much to assign a number series in the Sharpless or Barnard catalougues. Musing.





1 comment: